Thursday, January 3, 2013

Roses are black, violets are blue?

As she walked into the forest of the black roses...
Stood for everything she had ever loved
And each fold in her long black dress...
Was just as soft as the petals of a rose...

from Forest of the Black Roses by Stevie Nicks

 
I wish this beautiful song by the ethereal Stevie Nicks would be published so I could purchase it and download it to my iPod for random listening. Alas, you can only hear a bootleg demo version on Youtube, and it's just not the same.
Anyway, my post is about black roses (hence the song) and that I am going to attempt
to grow black roses this year. I've researched via the internet and found several varieties of roses that I can purchase, and have settled on two varieties that I like.  But, yet, dear reader, you tell me there are no such things as actual, real, black roses and I tell you, yes, you are correct. The closest color to black you will find are dark red, very dark red and purple. The types I found have names such as "Black Magic," "Black Baccara," "Deep Secret," and "Midnight Blue." Yet none are truly black. You can research them yourself and find several photographs. In each photograph the roses vary in intensity and darkness.  After much deliberation, I settled on the varieties "Black Baccara," due to texture and fragrance (very important to me in my selection), and "Black Magic." 
I'm surprised how little information is available on black roses. There is much more information on black lillies, pansies and tulips, which are very beautiful in their own right.
When I mention growing black roses to friends they seem very interested and somewhat intrigued at the idea. Perhaps the image of black flowers is somewhat dark, verging on the macabre. Or maybe that is their allure. I'll keep you posted....

No comments:

Post a Comment